To: EPP Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@shinkuro.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 17:07:09 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] draft-gould-rfc4310bis-00.txt Submitted forReview

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 03:51:42PM -0500, James Gould wrote:

> corner case that is not covered in the current schema is replacing all DS or
> Key Data with nothing, meaning remove all.  I prefer that the client
> explicitly specify what should be added or removed via the secDNS:add and
> secDNS:rem, but the secDNS:chg could be updated to allow an empty
> secDNS:chg.

That sounds to me like a foot-gun loaded for bear.  I think what will
happen is that someone will have some nasty bug that fails to get the
new data into place (think "empty webform gets submitted by
fat-fingered iphone user" or even worse, "webform bug doesn't get POST
data properly from client") and submits a syntactically-legal empty
"new state" dataset.  Poof!  Instant DS deletion.

Now, normally I'd argue that the above is policy, not protocol, except
that I dislike very much the habit of overloading "no data" to also
mean "replace data with NULL" (we recovering database geeks just see
this sort of thing everywhere).  So I'd say if you want to remove
something, you have to remove it, not change it to "empty".

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.