To: Ulrich Wisser <liste@publisher.de>
CC: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 20:26:40 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Anyone working on 4310-bis?

On 04/11/09 14:31, Ulrich Wisser wrote:
>>> Yes, provided the text clearly states that only one outcome can
>>> occur. This can mean doing all adds first, or all removes first. Of
>>> course, all adds can occur in any order, as can all removes. Allowing
>>> policy to dictate how this works would be mean that registrars would
>>> have to support both.
>>
>> I don't think I understand your remark here. I thought the idea was
>> that we make this a sequence, such that the outcome is whatever that
>> sequence of operations would be. No?
>
> But the sequence in the schema does allow only one kind of sequence. It
> will always be add/rem or rem/add. The schema doesn't allow you to
> choose which one to put first. And therefor the order of execution will
> be fixed.
>
> But if we go for the new dsData/keydata changes for the rem command I
> can't see that we would need rem/add and add/rem. Either scheme allows
> all reasonable updates. As dsData identifies exactly on ds record and
> keydata exactly one key adding and removing the same ds record/key in
> one epp command could be considered unreasonable, couldn't it?
>
> /Ulrich

Hi all,

just an attempt to clarify:

The XML Schema <sequence> *only* defines the order of the elements in the XML
file. It *does not* impose any implicit processing order. A protocol can define
any processing order it likes.

Also, there is one <add> and/or <rem> element at most in a request. However,
within each of them, multiple elements may occur to represent multiple DS
records (or keys, if you will).

Personally, I really don't care about the order in the XML document, but I
prefer the perform the removals first and then the additions. Ulrich's way to
reject a request if a DS record appears both in <add> and <rem> would be also
acceptable to me, but it makes the implementation a little bit more complex if
the <keyTag> in the <rem> section is retained -- in this case, the DS data has
to be checked against these <keyTag> elements as well.

Regards,
Klaus