To: <Chris.Newman@Sun.COM>, <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, <iesg@ietf.org>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 08:29:13 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] RE: Standards Track Advancement Request for EPP RFCs

Depends on what you mean by "how often".  It's used for several million
transactions per day between VeriSign and registrars managing .com and
.net domains.  I don't have direct access to production stats for other
registry operators, so I'd like to ask others to speak up here as
appropriate.

If you're asking about overall adoption, I know that it's used by all of
the gTLD operators (it's an ICANN requirement) and many ccTLD operators.
Patrick Mevzek recently reported on recent deployments here:

http://www.dotandco.com/services/software/Net-DRI/docs/netdri-icann-cair
o-ccnso-techday-200811.html

Sorry if the URL gets broken across two lines.

> Beyond that, I think the bar should be set very high before
> permitting _changes_ during the advancement from draft to
> full standard.  After talking with other parties, I suspect
> that while my concerns about TLS would improve the quality of
> the specification, they are not something I feel the IESG
> should force an author/WG change during this advancement
> (it's something I would strongly favor for republication at
> proposed or draft, however).
>
> I don't feel any of the normative references are
> inappropriate for an RFC
> 3967 downward reference.
>
> 1. Move RFC 4930-4934 to full standard without change.  I am
> willing to attempt this, although it's less likely to pass
> IETF last call than the other options due to the obsolescence
> of some of the normative references.
>
> 2. Republish with only references updated.  This will require
> somewhat less use of the RFC 3967 procedures and make improve
> the odds of a successful last call.
>
> 3. Republish with references updated and operational
> clarifications; primarily documenting the TLS practices that
> have been used in practice to interoperate.  I recognize
> there is some risk that the new TLS practices text will not
> be correct, which is why I've decided I'm willing to let this
> issue pass for a draft->full advancement.  IMHO, the problem
> should have been noticed and fixed when advancing to draft so
> any errata could be applied when advancing to full.  We
> missed the window where it was most appropriate to fix that
> sort of problem, so we shouldn't hold advancement hostage
> over the issue, IMHO.  I can't promise my the rest of the
> IESG will agree, but that's my opinion.
>
> So the steps to advance are:
>
> A. Provide data for the "significant benefit to the Internet"
> litmus test.
> I'll need to
>    defend this before the IESG.
> B. Choose option 1-3, publish revised I-Ds as appropriate C.
> It would be very helpful to provide candidate RFC 3967 text
> for the last call notice.
>
> and I'll take it forward from there.

I'm open to either option 2 or 3.  What do others think?

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list