To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Eugenio Pinto <eugenio.pinto@fccn.pt>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:30:14 +0000
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] restore report

Hi! We are finally finishing the definition of the Registry-Registrar
Protocol for .pt (thick registry) and we are really thinking about
implementing the restore mechanism this way. The alternative is to use
the transfer command the same way : will restore and transfer the domain
to another registrar.

The main difference is in the concept:
- on a restore command the registrar knows he will pay the
"reactivation" of the domain
- on a transfer command the registrar is not obligated to do a payment
for that action (as we only extend expiration dates on renewal)

Which of them do you think to be the better way?

Regards,
Eugenio

Werner Staub wrote:
> Hi Eugenio,
>
> In the case of a thick registry, where the contact information is
> stored in the registry, all the restore report does is send data to
> the registry that the registry already has. Therefore, for a thick
> registry, it is best to eliminate the restore report requirement
> altogether.
>
> The question of who may restore a domain is an entirely different
> matter. Your suggestion of allowing restore by another registrar based
> on the authinfo definitely looks like a good idea to me.
>
> Regards,
>
> Werner
>

> Eugenio Pinto wrote:
>> Hi again!
>>
>> I already know what it is (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3915.txt)
>>
>> What I would like to know now is if any Registry is asking for a
>> restore report when some registrar issues a restore request?
>>
>> And if you allow another registrar (not the sponsoring registrar) to
>> issue a restore request using the auth code (given by the registrant)
>> in order to immediately transfer and also restore that domain in one
>> step?
>>
>> Is this a bad idea? Do you allow a pendingDelete domain to be
>> transfered to another registrar in any way?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Eugenio
>>

>> Eugenio Pinto wrote:
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> Sorry for the question, but can anyone tell me what is a restore
>>> report? (what is it for?)

Home | Date list | Subject list