To: "Dan Maharry" <dan@mcd.coop>
Cc: "Patrik Wallstrom" <pawal@blipp.com>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Francisco Obispo <fobispo@nic.ve>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 12:51:17 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] EPP Extensions for IDN

Internally, we register the domain as: xn--espaol-zwa.com.ve,
the WHOIS server accepts the ACE string and UNICODE string,

The whois server does not allow &#241; because it does not expect
the input to be in XML ;-), although support for that can be added.

We have a restricted list of characters that can be used in the
registry,
so if its not on that list, the domain registration gets rejected.

In the whois response we provide both UNICODE and ACE string conversion
of the domain name:

    Nombre de Dominio: español.com.ve
    Dominio en Codificacion Compatible ASCII (ACE): xn--espaol-
zwa.com.ve

This way, we only deal with IDN at the moment of registration and
anytime
it needs interaction with the user of the service (it gets
transformed from ACE to UNICODE), keeping the XN-- conversion hidden
from the user interface .

Maybe in our case is fairly simple, because we only need support for
7 extra characters, (á,é,í,ó,ú,ü and ñ), it would be interesting
to see other implementations ...

regards

Francisco Obispo
Jefe de Oficina de NIC-VE
Centro Nacional de Tecnologías de Información

Home | Date list | Subject list