To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew@ca.afilias.info>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 10:55:56 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] EPP Extensions for IDN

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 03:31:27PM +0100, Dan Maharry wrote:

> - the Unicode version of the domain
> - the punycode ascii version of the domain
> - the language code for the domain name

It seems to me that the "Punycode ASCII version" (what John Klensin is
now calling an A-label, I think) is just what you put as the domain
name in the command.  But I agree that you probably actually want the
U-label as well.

Most important, at least under any policy regime where you intend to
map characters into language (as the ICANN policy requires) is that
language code bit.  That's even more important when variants come into
play.

The Internationalization discussion during the technical plenary at
the Prague meeting was awfully interesting on this topic.  Anyone
working on documents proposing to offer a way to implement IDNA for
EPP ought to keep a pretty close eye on the Internationalization
dicussions, because it'd be awful to settle on an approach that made
moving to IDNA200x harder.  (In that context, John's
draft-klensin-idnabis-issues is obviously something to watch.)

<andrew@ca.afilias.info>                              M2P 2A8
jabber: ajsaf@jabber.org                 +1 416 646 3304 x4110

Home | Date list | Subject list