To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
CC: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 15:07:30 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] EPP Implementation Test Matrix

Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:

> Sorry, but I disagree.  Apparently other implementers do as well.
> There's absolutely nothing in 3730 that says a <hello> can't be used
> with a connection-oriented transport.  In fact, section 2.3 very clearly
> says that "An EPP client MAY request a <greeting> from an EPP server at
> any time by sending a <hello> to a server".  I don't know what's unclear
> about that.

I know the statement in 2.3, but the figure 1 on page 4, titled "EPP Server
State Machine" does not tell anything about an exchange of a <hello> or
<greeting> message except for the startup. Since <hello> is not a command (it is
not described in section 2.9), the state machine does not expect a <hello>
message if in the "Waiting for Client Authentication" or "Waiting for Command"
states. I hope you agree that there is a contradiction.

Also, in 3734, the server sends an unsolicited <greeting>. Should the server
send a second <greeting> in case the client sends a <hello>? According to
3730/2.3, it has to.

> Another old argument.  The definition I've consistently used [1] is
> described in Jim Gray and Andreas Reuter's "Transaction Processing:
> Concepts and Techniques" book.  If you disagree with it, take it up with
> them.

I own that book and I clearly do not disagree with the authors of the book in
any way. Instead I think that you are tweaking the definition until it fits for
EPP. Anyhow, whether this "feature" of EPP conforms to the book's definition of
"idempotency" or not, several registrars have confirmed my point of view that it
does not help registrars in any way, and that's the important quintessence.

Regards,

Klaus

      |       |
      | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                           Technologiepark
                                         Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
      Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
      Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list