To: "Klaus Malorny" <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 08:06:14 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] EPP Implementation Test Matrix

Sorry, but I disagree.  Apparently other implementers do as well.
There's absolutely nothing in 3730 that says a <hello> can't be used
with a connection-oriented transport.  In fact, section 2.3 very clearly
says that "An EPP client MAY request a <greeting> from an EPP server at
any time by sending a <hello> to a server".  I don't know what's unclear
about that.

While I disagree with the specific example you described above I agree
that we need to discuss feature interpretation and testability.  That's
the whole point of producing an implementation report.

> >> Howsoever, I would be surprised if you would do anything but
> >> to ignore my
> >> objections -- as usual.
> >
> > Ignore your "objections"?  Hardly.  There are multitudes of
> > from me in the list archives (such as this one) to confirm
> that you're
> > not being ignored when you participate in a productive dialogue.
> > However, don't expect me to respond to your opinions [1]
> that repeat old
> > arguments.  I'm not going there.
> >

> A single word comes to my mind: Idempotency. You are probably
> still convinced of
> this great property of EPP (in the way you have defined it).

Another old argument.  The definition I've consistently used [1] is
described in Jim Gray and Andreas Reuter's "Transaction Processing:
Concepts and Techniques" book.  If you disagree with it, take it up with
them.

-Scott-

[1]
http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/2001-09/msg00061.html