To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
CC: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 22:19:06 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] EPP Implementation Test Matrix

Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:

> This is precisely why I shared the matrix.  If your results differ, I
> need to know what others have seen for test results.  If there are
> differences of opinion we can talk about them to determine what really
> needs to be in the boxes.

Hi Scott,

It is not a question of "differences". It is a question of interpretation of the
term "implemented and tested". What about the "<hello>" message, for example?
Six "X". Really? Does any of the three registries work with a different
transport layer than RFC 3734? Not that I am aware of. So how could you have
tested the <hello> command if RFC3734 does not even mention it? Comparing
RFC3730 and RFC3734 shows that it is at least unclear (if not contradicting)
whether or not the client may send a "<hello>" message at the beginning of the
communication (and cannot be tested therefore). My personal interpretation of
your RFC3734 is, however, that the "<hello>" element is not allowed in TCP-based
communications. Since the "<hello>" message is not a command, it is also unclear
in RFC3730 how a server should react if it receives a "<hello>" message at any
point in time after the server has sent the "<greeting>" message. Also not testable.

>> Howsoever, I would be surprised if you would do anything but
>> to ignore my
>> objections -- as usual.
>
> Ignore your "objections"?  Hardly.  There are multitudes of responses
> from me in the list archives (such as this one) to confirm that you're
> not being ignored when you participate in a productive dialogue.
> However, don't expect me to respond to your opinions [1] that repeat old
> arguments.  I'm not going there.

A single word comes to my mind: Idempotency. You are probably still convinced of
this great property of EPP (in the way you have defined it).

- SCNR

> -Scott-

Regards,

Klaus

      |       |
      | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                           Technologiepark
                                         Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
      Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
      Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list