To: "Klaus Malorny" <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:45:25 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] EPP Implementation Test Matrix

I sent it to the list because advancement to draft status requires
completion of an implementation report.  That report, which must include
a description of the features and test results, should be something
shared with list members before it gets sent to the IESG.  I want to let
others see what's been reported to me so that they can compare the
reported result with their own experience.

> >   <response>                        |  X  |  X  |  X  |  X
> |  X  |  X
> > |
> >     OPTIONAL <value>                |  X  |  X  |  X  |  X
> |  X  |  X
>
> How can I verify that? I don't know what DotRegistrar and Key
> Systems get from
> Afilias and Neulevel, but I know what we get, and because of
> this, I wouldn't
> put an 'X' here. Your draft
> (draft-hollenbeck-epp-rfc3730bis-01, the latest I
> could find) says:
>
>           Zero or more OPTIONAL <value> elements that
> identify a client-
>           provided element (including XML tag and value) that caused a
>           server error condition.
>
> Well, Afilias and Neulevel put a lot of stuff into the value
> element, like
> additional error codes, comments and so on, but nothing that
> identifies a
> client-provided element. If, for example, a domain:info
> command fails because
> the domain does not exist, I would expect the <value> element
> to contain
> "<domain:name>example.com</domain:name>" as the content, but
> this does not
> happen at the two registries.
>
> This is not a special attack against Afilias and Neulevel in
> favour of Verisign.
> As I am not involved in our transition to EPP at Verisign, I
> simply don't know
> whether Verisign is any better and eats its own dog food.

This is precisely why I shared the matrix.  If your results differ, I
need to know what others have seen for test results.  If there are
differences of opinion we can talk about them to determine what really
needs to be in the boxes.

> Howsoever, I would be surprised if you would do anything but
> to ignore my
> objections -- as usual.

Ignore your "objections"?  Hardly.  There are multitudes of responses
from me in the list archives (such as this one) to confirm that you're
not being ignored when you participate in a productive dialogue.
However, don't expect me to respond to your opinions [1] that repeat old
arguments.  I'm not going there.

-Scott-

[1]
such as this one: