To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
CC: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 18:54:51 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] EPP Implementation Test Matrix

Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
> Here's the first draft of a complete EPP test matrix.  I've tried to
> document the results of testing between two client implementations and
> three server implementations, with all of the software being developed
> independently.  I'm sharing it here so that all can see what was done,
> how I'd like to report the results, and to catch any errors or
> omissions.  Each row should have at least one "X" in it to confirm that
> the feature was tested and confirmed in at least two implementations.  I
> believe we've met that requirement.
>
> Please clue me in if I've missed anything.

Hi Scott,

I am not sure whether I understand why you send this to this list. We can't
verify that anyway. For example:

>   <response>                        |  X  |  X  |  X  |  X  |  X  |  X
> |
>     OPTIONAL <value>                |  X  |  X  |  X  |  X  |  X  |  X

How can I verify that? I don't know what DotRegistrar and Key Systems get from
Afilias and Neulevel, but I know what we get, and because of this, I wouldn't
put an 'X' here. Your draft (draft-hollenbeck-epp-rfc3730bis-01, the latest I
could find) says:

          Zero or more OPTIONAL <value> elements that identify a client-
          provided element (including XML tag and value) that caused a
          server error condition.

Well, Afilias and Neulevel put a lot of stuff into the value element, like
additional error codes, comments and so on, but nothing that identifies a
client-provided element. If, for example, a domain:info command fails because
the domain does not exist, I would expect the <value> element to contain
"<domain:name>example.com</domain:name>" as the content, but this does not
happen at the two registries.

This is not a special attack against Afilias and Neulevel in favour of Verisign.
As I am not involved in our transition to EPP at Verisign, I simply don't know
whether Verisign is any better and eats its own dog food.

Howsoever, I would be surprised if you would do anything but to ignore my
objections -- as usual.

Regards,

Klaus

      |       |
      | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                           Technologiepark
                                         Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
      Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
      Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list