To: "Klaus Malorny" <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 09:22:47 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] EPP Implementation Test Matrix

Not a contradiction, an error.  The state machine diagram should be
fixed.  It will be in the next iteration of the document.  Thanks for
pointing out the error.

> Also, in 3734, the server sends an unsolicited <greeting>.
> Should the server
> send a second <greeting> in case the client sends a <hello>?
> According to
> 3730/2.3, it has to.

Correct about 3730, though the <greeting> isn't unsolicited.  It's sent

> > Another old argument.  The definition I've consistently used [1] is
> > described in Jim Gray and Andreas Reuter's "Transaction Processing:
> > Concepts and Techniques" book.  If you disagree with it,
> take it up with
> > them.
> >

> I own that book and I clearly do not disagree with the
> authors of the book in
> any way. Instead I think that you are tweaking the definition
> until it fits for
> EPP. Anyhow, whether this "feature" of EPP conforms to the
> book's definition of
> "idempotency" or not, several registrars have confirmed my
> point of view that it
> does not help registrars in any way, and that's the important
> quintessence.

There's another party to consider: the server operator.  It's important
for them -- and I can guarantee that registrars WILL care if there are
financial consequences for transactions repeatedly sent in error.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list