To: "Klaus Malorny" <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 08:35:19 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] RE: XML Namespaces, Prefixes & EPP compliance

[snip]

> Scott, I would like to know whether you share my view that
> this is a violation
> of the EPP standard, and if so, whether a sentence or two can
> be added to the
> -bis versions that clearly states that no dependency on
> prefix names should exist.

Not really an EPP violation, but it does sound like a violation of the
normative XML references that describe namespace requirements.  I can
definitely add something to the specs (probably section 2 of RFC 3730*)
to make that clear.

-Scott-

* This is the paragraph that might be extended:

"EPP uses XML namespaces to provide an extensible object management
framework and to identify schemas required for XML instance parsing
and validation.  These namespaces and schema definitions are used to
identify both the base protocol schema and the schemas for managed
objects.  The specific strings used to associate URIs and namespaces
(such as the string "foo" in "xmlns:foo") in EPP are illustrative and
are not needed for interoperability."

Home | Date list | Subject list