To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
CC: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 15:31:10 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] RE: XML Namespaces, Prefixes & EPP compliance

Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:

>> [...]
> Not really an EPP violation, but it does sound like a violation of the
> normative XML references that describe namespace requirements.  I can
> definitely add something to the specs (probably section 2 of RFC 3730*) to
> make that clear.
>
> -Scott-
>
> * This is the paragraph that might be extended:
>
> "EPP uses XML namespaces to provide an extensible object management
> framework and to identify schemas required for XML instance parsing and
> validation.  These namespaces and schema definitions are used to identify
> both the base protocol schema and the schemas for managed objects.  The
> specific strings used to associate URIs and namespaces (such as the string
> "foo" in "xmlns:foo") in EPP are illustrative and are not needed for
> interoperability."

Hi Scott,

this sounds a bit too weak to me. I would prefer something like:

... The XML namespace prefixes used in the examples are solely for
demonstration purposes. A conforming implementation MUST NOT require the use of
these or any other specific namespace prefixes. ...

regards,

Klaus

      |       |
      | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                           Technologiepark
                                         Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
      Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
      Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list