To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
CC: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 14:06:15 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] XML Namespaces, Prefixes & EPP compliance

Hi Scott et al.,

today, I looked through the EPP related documents that EURid released regarding
the .eu registry. In this context, I discovered something that I regard as a
violation of the EPP protocol, namely the mandatory use of certain namespace
prefixes for requests sent to the registry. If different prefixes are used or
none at all (via the default namespace), the requests will likely not be
recognized.

The XML Namespace recommendation clearly notes that the prefixes only have a
proxy function (1., last paragraph). The XML Information Set recommendation
(2.2, item 3) recommends to use the namespace name instead of the prefix to
identify elements. In addition, the XML Schema recommendation does not rely on
specific prefixes neither.

Finally, I am not aware that in any of the EPP standards the use of certain
namespace prefixes are declared as a "MUST". In constrast, EPP relies on the
namespace URIs (and not on prefixes) for differentiating object types and
extensions.

Unfortunately, EURid (and of course dns.be, which implements the registry)
seems not to be the only registry violating these principles. I know that at
least Neulevel also requires the use of certain prefixes (at least when I
checked it half a year ago). However, contrary to Neulevel, EURid does not
provide its own toolkit where such deviations of the standard can be hidden.
Developers, who implement toolkits based on the EPP specifications may fail on
those registries. They have to take special care to support those registries.
This foils the effort to standardize registration protocols.

Personally, I am rather disappointed that developers are still unable to handle
XML namespaces correctly and to understand the purpose of namespace prefixes,
while the standard is now nearly seven years old.

Scott, I would like to know whether you share my view that this is a violation
of the EPP standard, and if so, whether a sentence or two can be added to the
-bis versions that clearly states that no dependency on prefix names should exist.

regards,

Klaus

      |       |
      | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                           Technologiepark
                                         Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
      Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
      Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list