To: Andrew Sullivan <andrew@ca.afilias.info>
CC: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: janusz <janusz@ca.afilias.info>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:41:14 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] EPP Document Updates

Andrew Sullivan wrote:

>I wonder if the answer is to make some of the update prohibitions
>more granular?  I know it's sort of ugly, but it's consistent with
>the use-cases we've actually seen.

Introduction of more granular update prohibited status values without
breaking <update> command into a set of corresponding lower granulity
<update> commands would break existing protocol structure. Currently
there is a direct link between each prohibited status and EPP command.
The main purpose of each prohibited status is to indicate that the
corresponding EPP command should fail on any object that has the status
value set. The direct link between prohibited statuses and EPP commands
has positive implication on client and server implementations of the
protocol. After breaking updateProhibited status into lower granulity
statues without breaking <update> command the link will be broken. The
use of the protocol for automated  processing will be more difficult. It
will be less obvious to the client and server to determine whether a
particular command can be provisioned or not. The syntax of XML requests
will have  to be compared against the state of  domain objects to make
such decisions.

I can see some value of breaking updatedProhibited status into a set of
more specific prohibited status values provided that <update> command is
also broken into a set of corresponding more specific commands however I
am aware that would be a drastic and controversial protocol change.

Janusz

Home | Date list | Subject list