To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew@ca.afilias.info>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:25:32 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] EPP Document Updates

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 07:20:26AM -0400, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
> [...]

It seems to me, though, that Janusz is pointing to another difficulty
that I've also noticed: the *UpdateProhibited status values are too
coarse.

I understand the value of consistency: we have one type of
prohibition against (for instance) <domain:delete>; so we should
similarly have one type of prohibition against other commands, like
<domain:update>.

The trouble I have with this is that <domain:delete> really has only
one function: either it causes a delete to be initiated (and maybe
completed) against a domain, or it does not.  It therefore makes
sense that a client or repository should either prohibit deletes, or
not.

In contrast to that, <domain:update> can change all manner of
attributes on a domain.  Moreover, there are certainly cases where we
want one update to be possible, but not others.  Afilias has had
cases where we wanted (for example) to prevent contact data
associated with a domain from changing; but that didn't mean we
wanted nameserver information not to change, or that we thought it'd
be a bad thing for people to be able to update their authInfo to
something slightly more tough to guess than "1234".

I wonder if the answer is to make some of the update prohibitions
more granular?  I know it's sort of ugly, but it's consistent with
the use-cases we've actually seen.

----
<andrew@ca.afilias.info>                              M2P 2A8
                                        +1 416 646 3304 x4110