To: "'janusz@libertyrms.info'" <janusz@libertyrms.info>
Cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
From: "Gould, James" <JGould@verisign.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:41:13 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] draft-hollenbeck-epp-rgp-01.txt comments/proposal

Janusz,

I agree that there could be a way in making rgp work as a Command-Response
Extension to renew or any other base command, but I don't believe it is
optimal.  Below is a typical rgp use case with rgp as a renew extension:

1. Domain is auto renewed
2. Domain is deleted putting it the redemption grace period
3. Client submits a renew with the rgp request extension with 0 as the
registration period
4. Client submits a renew with the rgp report with 0 as the registration
period
5. Domain is ok

The use case with rgp as a protocol extension:
1. Domain is auto renewed
2. Domain is deleted putting it in redemption grace period
3. Client submits a rgp request (billable operation)
4. Client submits a rgp report
5. Domain is ok

You are correct that additional attributes and elements would be added to
the protocol extension to include attributes like the domain name.  I did
not fully define the protocol extension, but really only wanted to present
it in theory. The response to the rgp request or report could be extended,
but it is not essential for rgp.  I don't believe submitting two renew
commands to satisfy the use case is as clean as submitting explicit rgp
commands.

rgp is a perfect example of the use of a protocol extension, since it really
is not a renew or an update, but is a new set of verbs.  By combining verbs
(i.e. rgp with renew, rgp with update) it makes it more of a complex
interface for the clients and makes it a more complex implementation for the
server.  The clients will have to know not to pass specific elements for a
rgp request to work with a renew or an update.  If rgp is defined as a
protocol extension it is defined at the XML schema level.  The server side
only needs a handler per verb, so the handling of rgp is not mixed with any
other operation.  rgp is billable which matches more closely with renew, but
it doesn't extend the registration period which matches more closely with
update.  rgp is not a perfect match for either renew or update.

The command response extensions are best suited in adding attributes to
existing verbs, but not suited for adding completely new verbs.  If this is
the pattern that will be followed, there is really no purpose for defining
the protocol extension in EPP.

JG

James F. Gould
VeriSign Naming and Directory Services