To: Joe Abley <jabley@isc.org>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, iesg@ietf.org
From: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 04:38:08 -0800
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: privacy

>> in idle moments, i am trying to understand the mechanisms and
>> poilicy useful/needed by a swedish registrant, using a registrar
>> located in brasil, to register in a domain which has its registry
>> in say american or new zealand juristiction.  and, of course, the
>> registrant has personal preferences, "don't publish my fax number."
> Does it seem that a simple, boolean "do not disclose" flag on each
> field is sufficient to accommodate the privacy requirements of that
> scenario?

one can always imagine more complex scenarios.  but the
per-attribute dnp approach seems to be one of those which covers
the important cases, certainly the current ones, with a simple
mechanism.  it's like one of those 90% solutions with 10% of the
cost.

but if you have a real, current, useful, and needed case it does
not cover, now would certainly be a good time to describe it.

randy

Home | Date list | Subject list