To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
cc: Joe Abley <jabley@isc.org>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se, iesg@ietf.org, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 14:57:07 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: privacy

> >> in idle moments, i am trying to understand the mechanisms and
> >> poilicy useful/needed by a swedish registrant, using a registrar
> >> located in brasil, to register in a domain which has its registry
> >> in say american or new zealand juristiction.  and, of course, the
> >> registrant has personal preferences, "don't publish my fax number."
> > Does it seem that a simple, boolean "do not disclose" flag on each
> > field is sufficient to accommodate the privacy requirements of that
> > scenario?
>
> one can always imagine more complex scenarios.  but the
> per-attribute dnp approach seems to be one of those which covers
> the important cases, certainly the current ones, with a simple
> mechanism.  it's like one of those 90% solutions with 10% of the
> cost.

I wrote on the subject earlier [1], I'm unaware if anyone read that
memo. No matter.

> but if you have a real, current, useful, and needed case it does
> not cover, now would certainly be a good time to describe it.

Assume the affirmative, that per-attribute dnp "works" for the case
of "publication".

	Q1. How long may the "do not publish" data be retained by
	    the data collector?
	Q2. How may the "do not publish" data be modified by its
	    author(s) during this retention period?
	Q3. To what purposes other than "do not publish" may the
	    "do not publish" data be put during this retention
	    period?
	Q4. Does "publication" and "do not publish" have a single,
	    unique, consistent meaning, either during the period
	    of retention of, or in all instances of some "do not
	    publish" data?
	Q5. How is any change to an aspect of the above made known
	    to the author(s) of the affected data?

A dnp value associated with a datum, e.g., an end-point identifier
associated with a domain name registrant, could be retained without
limit by a reseller, a registrar, and a registry-operator, and be
retained incorrectly (which may be a blessing), and re-purposed by
any data collector, and the purposing itself re-defined (possibly
transforming "not publish" into "publish"), without detection to a
party other than the collector(s), e.g., the original author(s).

Again, its a small matter.

Eric

[1] draft-brunner-epp-data-considerations-00.txt

Home | Date list | Subject list