To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
cc: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, <iesg@ietf.org>
From: Rick Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 08:29:29 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: privacy

Randy,

> > I have some thoughts on this. I prefered the capability in scott's second
> > to the last proposal [1] -- I also have an issue with the IESG deciding
> > what in the most appropiate methodology.
>
> the iesg members specifically said we did not want to decide the method,
> though some decades of programming practice does suggest one.  what we
> do care is that there is a mechanism which may be invoked by policy.

would you please discuss your rationale in the light that all gTLD
registrations will also be published in the whois negating any utility of
your requirement.

furthermore, since gTLD registries and registrars (the primary users of
this work product) are required by contract to publicly publish this
information, the paries using this privacy enhanced protocol would be
exposed to a serious liability concern as registrants expect information to
be private but contracts require it be published.

IMHO, privacy needs to be addressed in a superset of the protocols (epp,
crisp, whois) and a specific group tasked with that job; requesting
prov-reg to preform this task appears to be short sighted knee-jerk
reaction.

I'd appreciate it if you either enlighten us with more detail or
politely back off.

-rick

Home | Date list | Subject list