To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: "'Edward Lewis'" <edlewis@arin.net>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Joe Abley <jabley@isc.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:15:22 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: privacy

On Wednesday, Jan 8, 2003, at 07:17 Canada/Eastern, Hollenbeck, Scott
wrote:

>> The crux of the issue is, there are situations in which a registrar
>> may wish to alter the default privacy considerations for data when
>> interacting with a registry.  Not all registrar-registry environments
>> will need this flexibility, but there is a claim that some exist.  (I
>> have no personal, first-hand knowledge of any such environments.)
>>
>> How can we accomodate such environments?  That is the basic question.
>
> FWIW the attribute-based proposal is the one most closely aligned with
> "standard" XML practice, if such a thing exists.  XML attributes are
> typically used to describe the data contained within an element, and
> that's
> what's being proposed.

Would it be possible to hear the set of requirements to which the
attribute solution forms an acceptable solution?

I suspect that the requirements need work (or at least they need input
based on real-life registry policy, as opposed to policy assumed by the
IESG).

As Rick mentioned, if the IESG could raise their concerns on this list
it would be a lot easier to understand where they are coming from.

Joe

Home | Date list | Subject list