To: "'Edward Lewis'" <edlewis@arin.net>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 07:17:41 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: privacy

> The crux of the issue is, there are situations in which a registrar
> may wish to alter the default privacy considerations for data when
> interacting with a registry.  Not all registrar-registry environments
> will need this flexibility, but there is a claim that some exist.  (I
> have no personal, first-hand knowledge of any such environments.)
>
> How can we accomodate such environments?  That is the basic question.

FWIW the attribute-based proposal is the one most closely aligned with
"standard" XML practice, if such a thing exists.  XML attributes are
typically used to describe the data contained within an element, and that's
what's being proposed.

The other proposal I floated (the <doNotDisclose> proposal) could also work,
but it means carrying the same element data twice: once in the "normal"
place and a second time to mark it.  I can understand why some of the folks
who've been doing implementations might find it easier to incorporate into
current code, but I don't think it's the best architectural solution.

Just my two cents...

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list