To: "'Stephane Bortzmeyer'" <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 07:35:43 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Another Privacy Proposal

It doesn't do those things because that's not what the IESG is saying is
needed.  If you think such things are needed, please prepare a proposal to
address those requirements.

> I do not think it is possible to come with a reasonable
> "one-paragraph" solution to this difficult problem. I suggest to defer
> it to extensions, possibly using the P3P namespace and elements.

The IESG has already balked at the idea of doing this all in extensions.

> If a proposal like the last one is retained, I suggest to add the
> following warning:
>
> Some registries may use extensions or other registry-specific
> mechanism (possibly out-band, such as local laws) to gather privacy
> requirments. The lack of a <doNotDisclose> element MUST NOT be
> interpreted as the complete absence of privacy requirments.

I would disagree with this wording.  The absence of a privacy specification,
either in a <doNotDisclose> element or an extension, can only be interpreted
as agreement with the stated data collection policy.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list