To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:02:34 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Another Privacy Proposal

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 02:44:04PM -0500,
 Hollenbeck, Scott <shollenbeck@verisign.com> wrote
 a message of 79 lines which said:

> discussion we received a critical clarification: what they're looking to
> have added is a means to identify data elements for which the data owner
> would like to note that the data should not be disclosed to third
> parties.

Like every other proposal I've seen on this list about privacy, this
suggestion solves only a very small part of the problem. For instance,
it does not distinguish between individual access and bulk access by
third parties (while many registries, such as AFNIC for the .fr ccTLD
or the RIPE-NCC for their IP addresses database, allow unrestricted
individual access  but completely prohibit bulk access). Also, it does
not distinguish between the uses of the data (research, marketing, IPR
harassment, etc).

I do not think it is possible to come with a reasonable
"one-paragraph" solution to this difficult problem. I suggest to defer
it to extensions, possibly using the P3P namespace and elements.

If a proposal like the last one is retained, I suggest to add the
following warning:

Some registries may use extensions or other registry-specific
mechanism (possibly out-band, such as local laws) to gather privacy
requirments. The lack of a <doNotDisclose> element MUST NOT be
interpreted as the complete absence of privacy requirments.

Home | Date list | Subject list