To: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Cc: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Joe Abley <jabley@isc.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 11:24:27 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: lastVerified: optional vs. extension

On Friday, Dec 6, 2002, at 10:25 Canada/Eastern, Klaus Malorny wrote:

> Error codes are not extensible, with the consequence that some
> existing registries put additional error codes in the free text
> elements (which are not thought to be parsed).

We have spent time scratching our heads trying to find error codes to
describe particular conditions in our EPP server implementation, and
the idea of an extensible structure for error codes corresponding to
the currently-documented functionality seems like a useful one.

There is also the issue that a future object mapping might introduce
services with error conditions that are just not accommodated by the
currently-specified set of error codes. This might lead to subversion
of free-text error fields (as Klaus described) into machine-readable
subcodes, or to the reinvention of much of the base EPP functionality
in other protocols rather than reusing the work that has already been
done here.

Perhaps a structure where a generic, fixed and base set of error codes
could be extended with sub-codes that are particular to a server
implementation, or particular to an object mapping specification, might
do the trick. Clients unfamiliar with particular server sub-codes could
happily ignore them, whereas those clients which have a need to obtain
more fine-grained information could parse them.

If this idea seems interesting, I would be happy to come up with some
corresponding text.

Joe

Home | Date list | Subject list