To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
CC: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 16:25:06 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: lastVerified: optional vs. extension

Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
>>We already have a lot of registry-specific and inflexible
>>stuff in EPP, mostly,
>>but not limited to, the handling of name servers. EPP is
>>clearly designed after
>>Network Solution's registry model (before they were forced to
>>open the registry
>>to others), which is far from being generic or prototypical
>>for the existing
>>ccTLDs around the world.
>

> If this were true and the model were not of more general interest other
> members of the WG would have shot it down long ago.  As I remember the
> discussion the WG felt that the model was the most reasonable compromise
> when all the alternatives (including the one you proposed) were considered.
>
> -Scott-

Hi Scott,

you do know that the world's largest ccTLD (.de) has a different model currently
and that it works fine. But you chose to ignore it. We had long discussions
about the sense and nonsense of the association between name servers and the
domains they belong to. But finally you chose to ignore my points completely.
You designed it your way, with the result that it is still being discussed heavily.

Regarding ccTLDs like .de, one could of course use EPP as a protocol on their
model, but effectively you would have to throw away half of it and reimplement
it: The objects themselves are not extensible, you either have to live with them
or you have to replace them. Error codes are not extensible, with the
consequence that some existing registries put additional error codes in the free
text elements (which are not thought to be parsed).
Well, the registry could transform itself to be EPP compliant (maybe with the
need to change their whole business process). But this reminds me to a proverb:
"If the prophet does not come to the mountain, the mountain has to come to the
prophet").

On behalf of CORE, our company has implemented the client side for the Afilias,
Neulevel, Neustar, GNR registries and is currently preparing the implementation
for DotCoop, .CN via Neustar. We are thinking of whether and how to use EPP as
an additional protocol for the two sponsored gTLDs CORE operates.

Having this as a background, my personal impression I got in the meantime is
that EPP provides less benefits as one might expect. Each of the unsponsored
registries has some specialities (despite the fact that they all use different
versions of EPP drafts) that need special handling far, far away from the
protocol level. Sponsored registries are even worse, as they need new requests
in EPP and as they might introduce side effects not covered by the protocol.

As long as one has a library for the programming language one works with (which
are supplied by most of the registries), the benefits EPP might have compared to
other similar protocols vanish, esp. as EPP does not provide/support any new
features like transaction management (similar to databases) or a more complex
model of sponsorship (beyond the registry-registrar model).

Finally, I wouldn't interpret the silence of many list members as consent.
People have different reasons to subscribe to this list and different reasons to
participate actively or not.

regards,

Klaus

      |       |
      | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                           Technologiepark
                                         Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
      Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
      Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list