To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Joe Abley <jabley@isc.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 08:41:16 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: format of contents of <domain:curExpDate>

On Thursday, Nov 14, 2002, at 07:24 Canada/Eastern, Hollenbeck, Scott
wrote:

>> I can see how that would be the case if everybody in the
>> world lived in
>> the same time zone. It seems like it might cause friction otherwise,
>> however.
>
> This field isn't used for local interpretation purposes -- it's used
> _only_
> to match the date as currently archived by the server.  We could
> instead
> force a match on date, hours, minutes, seconds, and time zone, but that
> would seem to increase opportunities for error.

 From an implementation perspective it would be nice to have a single
date format for use throughout the protocol, that we called regardless
of which element we were parsing. That was my original reason for
bringing it up.

> This is such a nit that I really don't care, though.  If anyone else
> thinks
> that it would be better to use a full date-time value in this field,
> please
> speak up.

This field *does* have a local interpretation, regardless of whether
the protocol requires an interpretation to be made at the registrar.

Consider a registrar in New Zealand (UTC+12, UTC+13 in the southern
summer) and a registry on the west coast of the US (UTC-8, UTC-7 in the
northern summer). The date in New Zealand is usually (but not always)
one day in advance of the date in California.

The NZ registrar will presumably have a local market of registrants,
and it will communicate expiry dates to those registrants in a way that
makes sense for New Zealanders.

Because of the requirement to interpret the renewal date in two
timezones, complexity arises. The date has to be converted either from
a locally-held value when talking to the registry, or from a
registry-held value when talking to a registrant.

You could argue that the exact moment at which the expiry occurs is not
relevant, since the registry probably operates a grace period which
gives the required 1 day of flexibility, but that is an assumption
about policy and would seem to be out-of-scope for a provisioning
protocol document.

It seems to me that this is indeed an irritating nit as viewed from the
perspective of one who rarely has to deal with other organisations in a
different timezone where the date is different. However, having lived
in New Zealand and worked with a lot of people in California while I
was there, this kind of ambiguity arises all the time and usually
requires annoying kludge-coding to attempt to approximate real-life
practice when functional specifications don't specify what MUST happen.
I would be very surprised if this is a problem that is unique to New
Zealand, although given its time zone it is probably more of a problem
there than elsewhere.

Specifying a full time instead of a date seems to me like it would
avoid a problem, and would make implementation easier.

I'm not seeing how this would increase opportunities for error,
although it's 8am here (I'm in Ontario now, but I'm still a Kiwi :) and
the caffeine has yet to seep into the veins. If I'm missing something,
please let me know.

Joe

Home | Date list | Subject list