To: "'Joe Abley'" <jabley@isc.org>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 08:56:16 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: format of contents of <domain:curExpDate>

> I'm not seeing how this would increase opportunities for error,
> although it's 8am here (I'm in Ontario now, but I'm still a
> Kiwi :) and
> the caffeine has yet to seep into the veins. If I'm missing
> something,
> please let me know.

You seem to be thinking that the value for this particular field is one that
needs to be either given to or retrieved from the registrant as part of a
renewal operation -- it doesn't.  It can be retrieved in UTC directly from
the registry with an <info> command, parsed, and copied into the parameters
list for the <renew> command with no explicit need to translate the value
into local time.  I offered that adding the time values is possible, but
it's not necessary to ensure that the command is idempotent -- the date
alone provides enough granularity for that.  Acquiring and exchanging
information that isn't necessary to complete an operation is where I see the
increased opportunity for error.

That's why I said it was a nit.  It's got nothing to do with being
insensitive to time zone differences.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list