To: "'Roger Castillo Cortazar'" <castillo@nic.mx>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 07:05:26 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Proposed Document Changes

Roger,

I think the answer to your question could be found further down in the
message you quoted the text from.  Here's what it says about changes to the
TCP draft:

"- Eliminate/reword all of the text describing "asynchronous" operation.
Instead, it's OK to mention here that the client might be able to gain some
performance efficiencies by pipelining commands, but that pipelining doesn't
change the protocol's basic ping-pong operating mode."

The core protocol is and remains a command-response protocol, though TCP
(and maybe some other transports) have built-in features that would allow a
client to send more than one command before the first has been completed.
SMTP, for example, can work the same way: the client can buffer and send
multiple commands, anticipating that each will be performed correctly, but
the basic protocol is still command-response.

The <status> command can't return any information for a command that hasn't
been completed.  Nothing has changed about that.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list