To: "Liu, Hong" <Hong.Liu@neustar.biz>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:25:35 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Proposed Document Changes - Pending Operations

Hong,

You read my description of the change to <status> correctly.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "pending operation".  Given that
all commands are supposed to receive a response immediately after being
received and processed, there should never be a situation where a command is
sent and it takes "a long time" before the server sends back a response, so
I hope that's not what you're asking about.

If you're talking about commands like <transfer> where some back-end
processing is required before the command can be completed, we already have
mechanisms in place to check on the status of the command.  Transfer, for
example, has a query command.

We already have a mechanism in place for the server to notify clients when
such operations are completed.  That's what message queuing and the <poll>
command are for.

Your original suggestion was target more towards updates, though.  I don't
recall there being unanimous support for the changes suggested in the
message you referenced, though I agreed to pass them to the IESG as part of
he last call (I did, and there's been no reaction).  Looking at the
archives, one person said "OK" and one objected.  I also didn't say anything
about use of <status> for this purpose in my response [1].  I can't see how
it can be used as all it does is confirm that a command has been received --
it doesn't tell you if policy-driven back-end processing has been completed.

Anyway, I'm OK with the changes you suggested in March as long as no one
objects.  The change to the <status> command doesn't impact this change at
all as the "pending" status can be determined using an <info> command.

-Scott-

[1]
http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/2002-03/msg00008.html