To: asbjorn.rrp@theglobalname.org
cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Ed Rahn <ed@ItsYourDomain.Com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 17:07:38 -0600 (CST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: <info> Command and authInfo

On 17 Jan 2002 asbjorn.rrp@theglobalname.org wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:43:20 +0100 Patrick <patrick@gandi.net> wrote:
> >IMNSHO auth info should enable someone having it to make
> >modifications (that is update at least, maybe delete and renew)
> >through any other ways (other Registrars, or even the Registry
> >directly). Protocols should make that possible, and then
> >local policies should specify if it is to be used or not, and if yes,
> >how.
>
> I can't say I agree on this one. First of all, I don't think the registry should ever deal directly with the customer, that's what registrars are for. And if you have committed to a registrar, you should do the updates through the same registrar, or transfer the name to another registrar.
>
> Scenario: Registrar A is extremely cheap so I register my domain there, but registrar B has a great user interface for maintaining and modifying objects, so I use their interface instead of registrar a's. Registrar A will get my money, whereas registrar B has to do all the work for a "non-customer".
>
> But what I might agree upon is that if you want to transfer a domain and have the authInfo, why should the losing registrar need to approve it? :-d
>

> Asbjorn
> Global Name Registry, Limited
>
> --

If domain owners are able to make updates to domains through other
registrars, would this information be given to the previous
registrar, possible using poll.. Due to speed issues we keep most of our
data local and do reconciliation when needed. This would cause out of sync
information and make things a bit more complicated than needed.

Ed Rahn
ItsYourDomain.com

Home | Date list | Subject list