To: Ed Rahn <ed@ItsYourDomain.Com>
CC: asbjorn.rrp@theglobalname.org, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Daniel Manley <dmanley@tucows.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 22:53:11 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: <poll> and object changes (was authInfo in <info> commands)

It's my philosophy (and perhaps this should go into the drafts) that an
EPP registry should/must create a notification to sponsoring client of
an object when that object is modified without that client's direct
involvement.  So a domain registrar, for example, would be notified of
changes in the status of a transfer initiated by the other registrar or
by the registry's auto-approve/deny mechanisms.  Actually, the
requesting registrar should also be notified if the transfer is denied
by the losing registrar or auto-denied/approved by the registry.

Other situations where a registry would notify a registrar of changes to
objects it owns:  auto-renewals, object (domain) expiry, changes
initiated by the registry's support staff, etc...

this way, the owning registrar (with regular polling, or with pushing)
can count on always being in the know of changes to its objects in the
registry.

Dan

Ed Rahn wrote:

>If domain owners are able to make updates to domains through other
>registrars, would this information be given to the previous
>registrar, possible using poll.. Due to speed issues we keep most of our
>data local and do reconciliation when needed. This would cause out of sync
>information and make things a bit more complicated than needed.
>
>Ed Rahn
>ItsYourDomain.com

Home | Date list | Subject list