To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 07:47:54 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: More Private Comments

Last week I received a few private comments that will result in changes to
the EPP documents.  Here's a quick summary:

Eric Brunner-Williams provided some suggested changes to the data collection
policy elements.  Nothing radical, so I intend to make the changes he
requested.

Dan Manley also sent me some private comments touching on 4 things:

1)  auth info not required for transfer query command

This was discussed on the list a little while ago.  I intend to change
things such that auth info is required to complete a transfer query.

2)  inconsistent poll response format

This comment described an issue with the way <poll> messages are returned.
In the current documents, the response <msg> element is overloaded to return
the message.  Dan suggested a change the to the 1301 response code so that
it has a consistent meaning, and putting the message within the <resData>
element.  I disagreed with putting the message with <resData> because
<resData> is currently used only for _object specific_ response data, and I
suggested a compromise of putting the message within the <msgQ> element,
like this:

  S:  <response>
  S:    <result code="1301">
  S:      <msg>Message dequeued.</msg>
  S:    </result>
  S:    <msgQ count="5">
  S:      <qDate>2000-06-08T22:00:00.0Z</qDate>
  S:      <polledMsg id="12345">Transfer requested.</polledMsg>
  S:    </msgQ>
  S:    <resData>
  S:      <obj:trnData xmlns:obj="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:obj"
  S:       xsi:schemaLocation="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:obj obj.xsd">
  S:        <obj:name>example</obj:name>
  S:        <obj:trStatus>pending</obj:trStatus>
  S:        <obj:reID>ClientX</obj:reID>
  S:        <obj:reDate>2000-06-08T22:00:00.0Z</obj:reDate>
  S:        <obj:acID>ClientY</obj:acID>
  S:        <obj:acDate>2000-06-13T22:00:00.0Z</obj:acDate>
  S:        <obj:exDate>2002-09-08T22:00:00.0Z</obj:exDate>
  S:      </obj:trnData>
  S:    </resData>
  S:    <trID>
  S:      <clTRID>ABC-12345</clTRID>
  S:      <svTRID>54321-XYZ</svTRID>
  S:    </trID>
  S:  </response>
  S:</epp>

This puts all of the <poll>-specific data in the <msgQ> element, keeps
<resData> object-specific, and makes the response code structure consistent.
At the end of our last private exchange Dan said he still wasn't comfortable
with this suggested modification, so we may have more to talk about.

3)  no "content length: " header in TCP transport.

Dan's comment is that it would be helpful for buffering purposes for the
application reading from a socket to know the size of an incoming PDU.  he
and I talked about it a bit, and came with a suggested change to the TCP
mapping to define a short header of the form "type:length:value", where:

Type = "application/epp+xml"

Length: length of the value in octets, represented in hex.

Value: The <epp>...</epp> stuff.  So a TCP datagram containing an XML
instance of length 128 decimal (80 hex) would look like this:

application/epp+xml:80:<epp>...</epp>

4) Domain and Contact transfers in EPP

Dan and I talked a bit more about the comments he made during the SLC
provreg session, but no specific changes were agreed to.

Eric and Dan, please feel free to expand on anything you think needs more
explaining or if you disagree with my summations.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list