To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Gould, James" <JGould@verisign.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 15:28:35 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: ROID pattern

Currently, the pattern for the roidType is defined as "\w{1,80}-\w{1,8}".
The <obj:roid> examples use an object specific identifier proceding the '-'
and a registry specific identifier after the '-', as in
"<obj:roid>EXAMPLE1-VRSN</obj:roid>.  I propose adding a separator character
left of '-' in the pattern to support the creation of roids that follow
schemes like:

sub-type>'-'<registry identifier>

According to "XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes",
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-2-20010502, \w is defined as
[#x0000-#x10FFFF]-[\p{P}\p{Z}\p{C}] (all characters except the set of
"punctuation", "separator", and "other" characters).  It is registry policy
to define the exact scheme, but it would be helpful if the protocol allowed
for additional flexibility in formatting the roid.

I don't have a specific preference on what separator to use, so I'll throw
out a proposal of using  '_' .  With this proposal, the roidType pattern
would be "(\w|_){1,80}-\w{1,8}".

JG

James F. Gould
VeriSign Global Registry Services