To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:16:27 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: More EPP-BEEP Comments

I have a few more comments/questions after a more thorough reading of Eric,
Ayesha, and Ning's document:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-provreg-epp-beep-00.txt

1. "Conventions Used In This Document" appears twice, once on page 1 and
again on page 2.  One of these instances should be removed (I'd suggest
removing the second instance).

2. Section 2 says that:

"A EPP session is established when a BEEP channel is established.  The EPP
greeting message will be sent on the BEEP channel when the BEEP channel is
established."

Which channel does this statement refer to?  Is it channel 0 (used for
channel management), or a new channel that has to be created per section
2.3.1.2 of RFC 3080?  The text isn't clear on this significant detail.
Similarly, ending the EPP session as described in the following paragraph
doesn't clearly identify which channel or channels must be released when
ending an EPP session.  Could a forward reference to section 2.1.4 or some
explicit text be added to note that a new channel is created?

3. We've talked about URI schemes for profile identification, and Marshall
Rose has a draft that describes a proposal to identify IETF-defined
profiles.  Assuming that the URI listed in section 2.1 is going to change
based on earlier list discussions, a reference to Marshall's draft should be
added to section 2.1.

4. Section 2.1.2 describes connection establishment, but again there's no
mention of the BEEP channel on which EPP exchanges should take place.
Again, it would be helpful to either say explicitly that a new channel is
created, or provide a forward reference to section 2.1.4.

5. We've already talked about changing the Content-Type value described in
section 2.1.2.

6. Section 2.1.6 says that "Each EPP command/response payload is preceded by
the EPP tag <epp version="1.0">..."  This isn't true; the version info is
carried in the URI as illustrated in the given example.

7. Section 2.1.7 says that "EPP session termination is performed as part of
data exchange on the channel with the EPP <logout> command, which also
terminates the respective BEEP channel.".  Which BEEP channel?  The one
created for the EPP profile, channel 0, or both?

8. Given the different security profiles available for BEEP, would it be
possible to add some text to the "Security Considerations" section to
reference a specific set of security profiles?  Yes, TLS and SASL are
described, but could the profiles be explicitly identified (and referenced)?

That's it, nothing earth-shattering.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list