To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
cc: "'Daniel Manley'" <dmanley@tucows.com>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Thomas Corte <Thomas.Corte@knipp.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 15:45:56 +0200 (MESZ)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Command Recovery

Hello,

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:

> I think a bigger question involves uniqueness: does the server have to start
> enforcing unique TRIDs for each client?  Across all clients?  As things are
> written right now, the clTRIDs are basically just passed-through data that
> the client can use to synchronize commands and responses, and the server
> logs them as part of the larger transaction ID.  If the server doesn't
> enforce uniqueness you can get multiple hits when trying to determine
> status, which may not be helpful.  If the server does enforce uniqueness, it
> becomes a bit more complex.

I think the server should not have to care about the uniqueness of client
transaction ids; however, it should keep different 'transaction
id namespaces' for all clients.
If a client wants to benefit from the status command, it has to keep
his own transaction ids unique, which is a simple task.
The server may then simply report an error if it detects ambiguous
transaction ids among a client's commands.

Regards,
     |       |
     | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
      -------                           Technologiepark
                                        Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                        D-44227 Dortmund
     Dipl.-Inform. Thomas Corte         Fon: +49-231-9703-0
     Thomas.Corte@knipp.de              Fax: +49-231-9703-200

Home | Date list | Subject list