To: Patrick <patrick@gandi.net>
Cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 07:23:21 -0700
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Message Pushing and TCP Transport

At 05:21 AM 8/29/2001, Patrick wrote:
> > The "without queue overhead" statement is true only if the pusher has no
> > intention of retrying in case of failed delivery.

I think it is even worse that you describe, since data are being sent over
a single connection and, therefore, must be sent serially.

Whatever portion of the system is producing items to be transmitted, the
portion that actually does the sending might be slower, such as due to
network congestion or a slow host on the other end of the connection.

This requires that the producing software feed a queue, for the sending
software to do consuming from.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464

Home | Date list | Subject list