To: "'Sheer El-Showk'" <sheer@saraf.com>, "Bason, Chris" <cbason@verisign.com>
Cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:27:10 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Poll response data

Sheer,

Now I'm getting confused.  If your suggestion is to note when the queue is
updated, that happens every time is message is either enqueued or dequeued.
So, pulling off a message would result in an update, and I'm not sure that
the date and time of that event is of any value at all because the client
already knows exactly when it happened because they caused the update.

When you wrote "updated", did you mean "had a message added to the end of
the queue"?  After thinking about that a bit, I'm not sure that this
provides any really useful information, either.  The protocol currently
provides a queue counter that tells the client how many message are queued
for delivery.  If a client gets an indication in a response that there are
"n" queued messages, I've thought (and I may be wrong) that clients will
typically want to retrieve all of the queued messages at once through a
series of "n" <poll> requests and acks without really worrying about when
the last message was added.

Could someone else with a client perspective provide any insights into ways
that a "last updated" or "last queued" time would be valuable or not?  I'm
OK with noting a date-time on each queued message, but I'm not so sure about
the utility of this second date-time.

<Scott/>

Home | Date list | Subject list