To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
cc: "Bason, Chris" <cbason@verisign.com>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Sheer El-Showk <sheer@saraf.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:58:58 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Poll response data

My apologies for the continued confusion, let me try to make my suggestion
clearly and give a brief justification and then let everyone descide
whether its useful or not.

The idea is to include a timestamp in each poll response that would
indicate the time the queue update process was mostly recently run.  This
is NOT the time that the queue was last polled by a registrar (which would
be superflous as Scott and Chris have pointed out).  Nor is it
necassarily the time the most recent (as opposed to last, since as
Chris mentioned the most recent message could have been dequeued and an
earlier message would now be the last message on the queue) message was
placed on the queue, but rather the last time that the process that places
messages on the queue was actually run.

To give a concrete example, I might use a cron job running every two hours
to scan my registry database for queable records and then make entries in
another database used by the queue server.  Even if my process finds no
records in the registry database that need to be queued, it will still
mark my queue database (in a header or special purpose record) every two
hours to indicate that the queue represents the state of the registry up
until this point in time (the time the last cron job was run).  Since this
timestamp is then passed on to registrars with each poll request they
know how recently the queue was synchronized with the canonical data
source (the registry database) -- a useful piece of information in my
opinion.  This presumes queue updates will be a batched process rather
then some event-driven (pushed) system such as refreshing the queue in
real-time as events occur at the registry.   Even in the later case
however, it will be useful to know that the queue represents the state
of the registry in real time.

I hope that I've managed to convey this clearly this time.  I would like
to see what people think about this once its been conveyed properly.

Regards,
Sheer

Home | Date list | Subject list