To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Bason, Chris" <cbason@verisign.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:30:42 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Poll response data

Sheer,

The idea of putting the queue update time in the
response seems to make even less sense. The problem
I see here is that when you dequeue a message you
are updating the queue. Therefore every time you
retrieve a queued message all you are doing is
sending the time you retrieved that particular message
in the response.

There is a count that is returned in the response
to a poll that indicates how many messages are in
the queue. I think "overall freshness" is not what
a registrar needs to be concerned with. They should
dequeue each message and process it in the sequence
received. The idea that a registrar can determine
what needs to be done with a message or whether to
process a message based on "overall freshness" seems
to me to be problematic.

Chris Bason