To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
CC: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:14:12 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Poll response data

"Hollenbeck, Scott" wrote:

> Klaus,
>
> There _is_ a well defined mechanism to determine all of the transfer details
> you've described.  Look at the definition of the <transfer> command's
> "query" operation.  You're suggesting that this exact same info be described
> and required for return via a polled message?
>
> I don't have a problem with enhancing the description of the <poll> command
> to note that the format of transfer notices as described in the current text
> is a required feature (are there any others?), but I don't think it makes
> any sense at all to push the transfer details in a polled message.  As
> things are defined right now, a polled message goes away once received and
> acknowledged by the client.  With a transfer query operation the details can
> be retrieved at any time, including after the operation has been completed.
>
> <Scott/>

Scott,

you are right, but this was just a suggestion (I want to make constructive
comments ;-). I don't mind if you reduce the content to the absolute minimum.
It would of course be enough if it would be like the result of the poll
request in the example on page 24 of draft-ietf-provreg-epp-03. But please add
this as a requirement. To me it's a kind of horror vision to see transfer
notifications transmitted outside of the protocol (worst is per e-mail),
albeit the EPP already contains the whole functionality for it. Making it to a
requirement will ensure that EPP is used for this purpose.

regards,

Klaus Malorny

     |       |
     | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
      -------                           Technologiepark
                                        Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
     Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
     Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list