To: Rick H Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>
cc: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, "'Damaraju, Ayesha'" <ayesha.damaraju@neustar.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 19:55:58 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Epp - Contacts

Rick,

> could you provide a use case for the utility of many addresses

Sure. From about two hours ago ...

: I'd like to give my telephone number (which doubles as a fax), but in case
: I'm not in, I'd like my answering service (paid professional) to pick up,
: and I don't want my local "Intelligent Network" to do call forwarding, as
: that is insufficiently deterministic (to put it mildly).
:
: So, there's the motivation. The ordering is (reverse of the surprising postal
: bottom-up reading) order of incidence (which places a no-reordering on second
: and subsequent element list members requirment). Repeat for fax, my answering
: service (lady down the street) got the same model I did (I bought it for her
: as partial payment for professional services).
:
: I've a lot of email addresses, the one I'm using today is subject to the
: whims of a DSL vendor (now that's chancy, neh?), and if the wire or the host
: goes south, my primary alternate is pretty damn stable (world.std.com), but
: I could have used a TimeWarnerAOL dhcp'd and mailbox hosted bit-bucket, and
: that too can vanish (like a DSL vendor) without even a .vacation forwarder.
:
: So, there's the motivation. The ordering is (reverse of the surprising postal
: bottom-up reading) order of incidence (which places a no-reordering ...).

In the same vein, I've a three-season address (in Maine) and a winter address
(in Florida), or I may when my blood thins. But I'll probably pick Cuba, and
the postal service won't a) spring for the international postage to forward
my mail, or b) send a kleenex to the commies. Again, "public infrastructure"
is less deterministic than the registrant's express preference, and without
a secondary a registrant is forced to deal with a "unique, not necessarily
functional" address.

> If
> registrars use these addresses for verification shich one should be chosen
> so send corispondance if they all have an equal weight.

We're going to use them all if attempting to reach the registrant. The point
of the contact info isn't to have something that doesn't work, it is to have
something that does work, and it hasn't (yet) if we haven't reached them (and
we really want to).

"we" here is .biz

Keep in mind the construction in Scott's present draft -- a registrant MUST
NOT offer (or a registrar MUST NOT accept, or at least MUST NOT try to fob
off on the registry) a secondary {postal address, voice number, fax number,
email addr, ... }. As a registry operator I don't win by having a (large)
fraction of my registrants unreachable. I don't imagine that the unreachable
or uncomforably constrained-to-unique-[post,voice,fax,email]-address are big
winners either.

I'm the agent of record for the Anansaguntacook Corporation. Maine law
requires corporations to have addressable agents, in addition to any random
address the corporation may use from time to time.

Thanks for asking,
Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list