To: Richard Shockey <rshockey@ix.netcom.com>, Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 06:57:37 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: HTTP Transport? (was: Re: Security Design Team)

--On tisdag 3 april 2001 21.35 -0400 Richard Shockey
<rshockey@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> For the last time ...this list really needs understand that we will never
> be permitted to use HTTP OK ..get it ..the IESG has made its statements
> on  this quite clear.  Out of bounds out of scope...see IPP for further
> information.

IFF this wg want to use the HTTP syntax and protocol (which is not easy,
just read HTTP/1.1 and see that you understand binary transport and
chunking) and not something else, it is the case that the protocol have to
be on a separate port number (not 80), and the wg further have to explain
why the HTTP transport protocol is a more efficient transport mechanism
than other transport mechanisms available.

Note that I didn't write anything about "ability to pass firewall" or
"already implemented".

We develop a protocol which go between two endpoints, and not an API which
you are to use.

And, yes, as Richard says, the IESG is very nervous about reuse of
protocols without a detailed description of issues like congestion (yes, if
you reuse one protocol for a different use than what was intended, you get
completely different characteristics on the IP layer) and routing (routing
is something which should be handled on the lower layers, while application
layer is point to point).

That said, HTTP is reused in some protocols, like IPP, so I am not saying
that HTTP is not reusable.

Handwaving is though not enough as an argument.

   Patrik

Home | Date list | Subject list