To: "'Jaap Akkerhuis'" <jaap@sidn.nl>, "Paul M. Kane" <Paul.Kane@REACTO.com>
Cc: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 07:00:21 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [cctld-tech] Re: Generic Registry Registrar Protocol requirements

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but the draft has very clear
requirements for contact identification, see 3.4.2-[6] where the more
generic term "social data" is used to describe what is commonly referred to
as a "contact".  3.4.3-[3] describes a requirement for associating "social
data", such as registrant information, with other objects such as domain
names.

>    For registries based in Europe, EU directive 95/46/EC, says
>    "data subjects (registrants) must have the ability to inspect
>    and modify information (including its deletion) directly with
>    the Data User" (registry).... This direct inspect/modify
>    provision is in addition to the Registrar which may be the
>    preferred path by many registries - suggestions?? In the ccTLDs
>    we operate from the UK we use passwords as a means of
>    identification, other registries use certificates and others
>    keys..... For gTLD registries based in Europe they will need
>    something!!
>
>First, to be strict, the protocol is a registry/registrar protocol,
>so this is outside the scope of this particular protocol. If you
>want to do allow this, one needs a registry/registrant protocol.
>
>Furthermore, after consultation with Bart Boswinkel, we (Bart & I)
>came to the conclusion that this EU directive can be interpret on
>in various ways and not necessarily dictates a direct
>registry/registrant
>relation.

Jaap's interpretation is correct, but I'd also like to suggest that a
registry may choose to allow direct access by registrants.  There aren't any
requirements that preclude this, and in fact the protocol documents that
I've been working on don't use the terms "registry", "registrar", or
"registrant" at all -- the parties are known as "client" and "server", and
the definition of client is a matter of local policy.

<Scott/>

Home | Date list | Subject list