To: shollenbeck@verisign.com (Hollenbeck, Scott)
Cc: bmanning@isi.edu ('Bill Manning '), ietf-provreg@cafax.se ('ietf-provreg@cafax.se '), hartmans@mit.edu ('hartmans@mit.edu ')
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:03:51 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: security in draft-ietf-provreg-epp-0.txt

 then perhaps the wording should be modified. Currently the statements
are "The protocol -OR- another layered protocol".  If there is no way
for the protocol to distinguish if the "other layered protocol" has
done the work, then it MUST do it on its own.

%
% I suspect that negotiation failures in lower layered protocols should be
% managed and contained in the layer(s) at which they occur.  If a fatal error
% occurs in a lower layer, the provreg base protocol layer shouldn't be
% instantiated.  Thus, if it is instantiated it can assume that all lower
% layer processing has been completed successfully.
%
% <Scott/>
%