To: Ietf-Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
Cc: lewis@tislabs.com
From: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:51:50 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Pre-meeting notes

The provreg meeting at the 50th IETF will be held later today (1545, in
Salon B).  I have been reviewing recent activity and have come up with a
few questions for the group:

1) Do the design teams feel that they have clear goals?  I have heard some
comment that this is not the case.  I will refrain from requesting the
teams address this in their short presentations today because of the short
lead time.

2) How close are we to having a stable requirements document?  The document
is in good shape, but every once in a while an issue or two is raised.  I
think that we are close to consensus on the document.

During the meeting, I'll ask the room if there are issues just to gauge
what is needed.  I want to refrain from discussing the issues, refering all
discussion to the list.

3) The definitions document needs work, and we need to decide whether to
tether the requirements document and the definitions document or not.  If
not tethered, the requirements document needs to define its terms, if
tethered, the requirements document cannot progress until the definitions
document does.

Q: To tether or not to tether...

4) One of the issues raised in the drafting of the charter is
extensibility.  I feel that although the requirements document mentions
this, extensibility isn't being addresses enough.  Are there a few folks
(say 2-3) that would be willing to be a "design team" to keep an eye on
extensibilty?  I'm looking towards the folks that most vocally supported
the use of the protocol for not-just-DNS registrations.

Q: Do we need this / who wants to volunteer?

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

Dilbert is an optimist.

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Home | Date list | Subject list