To: Martin Oldfield <m@mail.tc>
CC: michaelm@netsol.com, George Belotsky <george@register.com>, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:23:32 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

Martin Oldfield wrote:

> Splendid, thanks for your illuminating comments.
>
> I think I'm slightly disappointed that experience suggests people
> can't maintain persistent URNs, but that's life I guess.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Martin Oldfield,
> AdamsNames Ltd.

Sorry to intervene: URI != URN != URL. My original idea was to use URNs, which
are, per definition, persistent. They do not follow the typical host/file
schema used e.g. by the http: and ftp: schemas. In contrast to many other
URIs, do not define a protocol, a way to access the data behind. This is its
strength and also its weakness. The problem is that currently no standard
exists to resolve a URN, i.e. to access the data described by the URN.

Another way could be to create an own URI schema, e.g. a "whois:". But one
should be careful and should not introduce new standards if it is not
necessary.

regards,

Klaus Malorny

     |       |
     | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
      -------                           Technologiepark
                                        Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
     Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
     Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

     C e B I T  2001                    Visit us at our booth:
     H a n n o v e r
     22.3.-28.3.2001                    Hall 6, A 47 (716)

Home | Date list | Subject list