To: George Belotsky <george@register.com>
Cc: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Michael Mealling <michael@bailey.dscga.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:53:15 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 10:30:14AM -0500, George Belotsky wrote:
> The reason for having global identifiers for all objects is so
> that they can move between various entities without changing.

But we really haven't specified if that's a goal yet have we?
The sticking point for me is: has this actually happened and
are the times it happens more easily handled by some additional
metadata pointing to equivalent identifiers in other registry/registrar.
Let's take Bill's example of WM110, WM110-ARIN, WM110-RIPE, etc [1]
Would it be easier to just use the current de facto usage and add
something to the schema of objects that shows equivalence in other
object repositories? Even in Bill's example you have WM35-RADB so
the only way to know that's the same Bill Manning is for something
in the database to tell you so.

My recommendation is this: use the <registry-handle>-<local-handle>
syntax where registry-handle is registered with the IANA and local-handle
is a unique identifier assigned however the registry sees fit. Then, to handle
equivalence between registries, the base schema of all objects (if that
has a concept here, I haven't looked yet) allow for a way for one
object to say two things: "Hey, I'm also known as FOO-BAR, BAZ-BAR,
and HOMER-DONUTS." as well as "I was also known as PREHISTORIC-CAVEMAN
at sometime in the past". The one thing this fixes is that equivalence
may be a pre-registry concept. I.e. while Bill may consider WM110-ARIN
and WM35-RADB the same, the registries involved may have some policy
where they're not allowed to either know or publish that information.

-MM

[1] http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/2001-03/msg00128.html

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821