To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:00:30 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 10:30:14AM -0500, George Belotsky wrote:

> We may be 'deja vu' on the questions, but not on the answers.

I'm not sure about the merits, but has anyone actually considered
distinguished names, as in X.500 (perish the thought) but more
plausibly in LDAP?

I should think that a flattenable hierarchy as well as the locally,
hopefully globally unique "relative distinguished names" when the
localising qualifier is dropped, would address most of the needs
raised in this forum.  Note that attempts to map the DNS onto LDAP
have been made with (to my limited knowledge) some degree of success.
And anything has been mapped to X.500, but let's not go there :-)

At the very minimum, this is understood technology, and humanly
readable DNs are also implicitly globally unique.  I find LDAP a
little English-language parochial, but so is DNS, addressing
internationalisation of both would in any event happily occur
simultaneously.  Also, I have lost track of LDAP and I'm still
stuck in the version 1 warp, I have no idea what the version 2 cat
actually brought in.

++L

Home | Date list | Subject list